Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sometimes professionals don't know.


I had a botanical print framed recently, and I didn't get what I really wanted. Sometimes the standard isn't good enough and I need to remember to listen to myself when I know what I want.

I went to the same place I've been going for years, and was helped by the assistant rather than The Frame Guy. He was helping another customer. Whatever, I start to tell the girl what I want, and she's doing what she's been told to do anyway, pulling out mattes and frames that "go" with botanical prints. No, I told her, I definitely don't want green, and no, I don't want that patterned gold frame you use for flowers. I told you, I want black, thin.

This is when it got awkward because The Frame Guy finished and came over, and then got snippy with the girl, wondering if she'd shown me the "frame for flowers". I started showing him examples of what I wanted, and he told me No, we don't do prints this big with frames that thin. He also tried to fight me with the matte proportions. We do this...

I refused to cave on the matte, but I stupidly allowed myself to be talked into the thicker frame. This tormented me until I picked it up, and guess what? I'm not satisfied. It looks more like a generic pre-framed print you get at Target than the more, I don't know, "vintage" feel I was going for? And it bugs me.

I've been waiting to come across an example so I can take it back and have it fixed. Today SF Girl by Bay posted this image from Domino in her Ode series, and I think I've got it. Those frames don't look to thin do they? Hopefully I have learned a few lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment