Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Out of Africa.

A while ago, my weekend "to do" list included watching Out of Africa. This movie is from 1985, and it was nominated for and won a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction and Best Music. I vaguely remember all the hype of it from back then, but since I was only in Junior High at the time, it passed way above my radar as a "must see".

My recent watch was maybe my second start to finish viewing. I did see it a couple of years ago, and then also stopped on it clicking through channels to catch a little bit here and there. It is a very long movie, so it's somewhat of a commitment if you decide to take it all in, but I highly recommend it. After seeing it again all the way through, I think it's one of my favorites. Without giving it too much thought, I might even put it on my list of Top 5, and definitely Top 10.

It is so beautiful to look at. The colors of the landscapes really get me, the expanses of space and movement of herds. There is a scene when Merle is combing through coffee beans on her farm that I just want to step into. The home and farm are amazing. I love all the details.


I love the bravery and strength of Merle Streep's character. The time period. The clothing. And while it is a love story, it's almost more a love story with Africa. I know I place a lot of emphasis on the look of a movie, so that has a lot to do with my appreciation of this one. Also, the movie's pace is slow, and I like how it grabs me and eases me through the story – a true story and an adventure.

Anyway, if you're looking for a lovely film to fill about 3 hours of a weekend or evening, I recommend it. Then tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment