Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Parrots.

I actually saw one of these birds on my way into work the other morning. Unfortunately it was laying dead on the side of the highway. But it got me thinking of the documentary, The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. Have you seen it? Apparently there have been flocks of these birds also living in New York and even Chicago, but I'd never seen one until now.

What struck me most about the movie is how much I love to encounter someone who sets my mind reeling at the passions and life purpose certain people possess. I didn't get too caught up in the controversy of whether or not Mark Bittner should or should not have befriended these birds, because I was jaw-dropped with his whole person. I could have a pretty long conversation on the state of his jean jacket alone.

The birds are pretty. That green is one of my all time favorites. But the story of the man* was the story for me. And then the woman, too, who was just as obsessed with filming him loving the birds as he was with the birds. And the surprise twist of an ending.

*He has since moved on in life from the relationship with the flock, but it's still something you can enjoy watching in the film.

This image was on sites all over the worldwide, and I can't figure out who to credit, so I'm going with Mark Bennett.

3 comments: