Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gruen Galleries.

A couple weeks ago, Rita, Bruce and I (plus Jacki for a little while), tried to take in a couple First Thursdays gallery visits after work. Maybe it was the pouring down rain, or the general lack of interest due to the economy, but a couple places I'd wanted to look weren't even open. So we basically just wandered into a few others, and saw some neat things.

I enjoyed the paintings by Amy Casey at Zg Gallery. What was really special was each of these houses looked like they were based on actual homes. The attention to detail was fantastic, and there were a lot of them. Paintings, and houses. I like when you can see the time that goes into the creation.

I also liked the work of Gary Weidner at Gruen Galleries.

And these waxy, unfocused trees, branches and landscapes by Tom Brydelsky, also at Gruen Galleries.



But it was the space of the Gruen Galleries that continues to pop into my head. Along with the art, they had all these potted succulents everywhere. Huge ones. And this really large, metal, bird cage with tiny blue finches fluttering about in them. I loved the old floors, beams, columns. The tin ceilings and in some places, walls. The overall exposure of everything. I want to throw a party there.

No comments:

Post a Comment