Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Can't stop thinking about: Ribs.

Kept up the NYE tradition this year and made some ribs. I was obviously too busy drinking champagne and making the rest of the dinner to take any photos! Whoops. But thankfully this ONE (pre-baking step) was on the camera New Years Day.

THE MENU

Baked Brie with Pears and Cinnamon on French Bread (thanks Eliz!)
Bacon Wrapped Dates
Mandarin Orange and Toasted Almond Green Salad
Brussel Sprouts with Bacon Bits
Roasted Potatoes with Thyme and Garlic (I used little Golden's)
Ribs
Creme Brule (thanks Jamie!)

I basically made up the recipe for the ribs, with help on the sauce from Brad.

RIBS

Take a slab and wash it off. Cut that thin membrane off the back of them. (Gross process, slice it and then just try and pull it off – I think this really helps). Then cut it into 4/5-rib pieces (I got 4). Salt and pepper and spice them up. I coated them liberally with Pike's Peak Butcher's Rub by Savory. Then I stood them up length-wise in the slow-cooker with a thin layer of butter coating the sides of the pot, on High. I added about an inch of apple juice at the bottom. Cook them for about 4 hours, switching to low at some point – when it seems like it's bubbling a lot I guess.

SAUCE*

The whole time the ribs were cooking, so was the sauce in a small pan on the stove, stirring occasionally.

1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup apple juice, some sugar (I used brown), some Worcestershire sauce, salt, dry mustard, Cayenne pepper, (I also added some red pepper flakes), (I added garlic powder) and pepper. Cook this all together for a while. (I boiled it up, then low simmered). The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets. I don't really measure spices, so occasionally I tasted it and added what I thought was missing.

Ok, so then I lined a baking sheet with tin foil, put the ribs on round side up, and covered them with the sauce. I baked them at about 450ยบ with the potatoes for about 30 minutes.

Falling off the bone, no really "questionable" or fatty (it was all in the bottom of the cooker) bites. Not to brag but, these tasted amazing. I'm going to try and hold off but I kinda want to make them again this weekend.

*Great for pulled pork sandwiches too!

No comments:

Post a Comment