Friday, August 13, 2010

Dalton Ghetti.

This is one of the coolest things I've come across on the world wide in a long time. Artist Dalton Ghetti creates these miniature sculptures carving carefully, slowly and meticulously into the graphite of pencil tips and sometimes their wooden bases.

This hand saw is my favorite. But seriously, these things take like, forever to create. And he has a "graveyard" of about 100 pieces that were broken close to completion. Can you imagine? It makes me smack my head in despair for him! Originally from Brazil, and a professional carpenter, he currently lives in Connecticut and is working on a commemorative piece for the victims of 9-11, carving single tear drops for the 3,000+ people who were killed that day. He's trying to do one a day, and estimates it will take about 10 years to complete. I shared this with some friends and we spent a good half hour tonight talking about this man and his work. HE DOESN'T USE A MAGNIFYING GLASS! It's truly fascinating.

He also does not sell his work, but instead, gives it away. I love that! To learn more and view more images, take a look at the Telegraph article.


Via the Jealous Curator. That colored pencil log sculpture is pretty rad too.

3 comments:

  1. Hil, I can't HANDLE this!!! I love them SO much!!
    J.E.Furey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessie! I know right? It is absolutely crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are awesome! joan

    ReplyDelete