Monday, September 27, 2010

i55: landscapes


artist statement

A year and a half in the making, i55: landscapes developed during the hours I spent on my morning commute over the seemingly ugly, barren, industrial Stevenson Expressway (Interstate 55). Rather than focusing my attention on the frustrating bumper-to-bumper, stop-and go-traffic, I began making an effort to take in my surroundings from a new, more positive perspective. I focused on seeing beauty in the ordinary and mundane: unintentional compositions and unexpected contrasts and colors; differences between “permanent” man-made materials and the ever-evolving, softer sides of nature; the effects played by lighting, weather and season and the results of destruction or deterioration. I tried to notice changes to anything in my visual field that provided a new way of looking at and seeing things that may otherwise seem not worth a second glance.

Taking in my surroundings in this new way led to the creation of this series of paintings and photographs, these “abstract” urban landscapes – the beauty of my mornings.


-----------------------
Opening Reception

Vertical Arts in Steamboat Springs, CO.
Friday, October 1 at 6 pm
Show runs October 1-31, 2010

I can't believe it's all coming to an end after all this time. To learn more about the development of this project, take a look here. And do stop by if you happen to be in the area!

PS: I will be posting all the images here, but not until after the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment