Friday, April 8, 2011

Linoleum Block Prints.

Working my way through my 2011 "goals" list, I finally ordered some linoleum blocks, tools and paints. They arrived on my doorstep and I unpacked them excitedly and then they sat on the dining room table for a couple weeks. I couldn't figure out what to carve into the block? It felt so permanent and as if it needed to really be something I'd want to make a zillion prints of and I couldn't settle on anything. Then I reminded myself that the blocks are only about $2 and I'd probably screw it up anyway, so I bit the bullet.

Copying a saying from some prints I'd seen on Etsy seemed like a good idea even though I knew it was totally cheating to not come up with my own original concept. I printed out a template, reversing it and everything, but then I couldn't figure out why I was reversing it so I righted it again and started to carve away. I had been disappointed when I removed the cellophane that the old smell didn't hit me, but thankfully it came out strong, just how I remembered, once I started cutting. Oh I love that smell!

Anyway then Katy stopped by and said, Um, you're doing that backwards. And I said, Crap! and gave up for the day. The next morning I realized I could save the ruined block and fall back on my original idea: A Moose. (A friend of mine recently asked if I would do a blue moose for her kids room).

So these came out really bad, but I'm happy to report I made a dent in my list and had a lot fun doing this exercise. Well, I loved the carving and the anticipation and the SMELL – just not the result so much. And now that I've gotten my feet wet with this, and kind of remembered the limitations and stuff, I need to come up with something original to make prints of and start a new one.

1 comment:

  1. pretty pretty cool! so... just what DO they smell like. if I think hard I could probably remember... did something like this back in 4th ;-)

    ReplyDelete