Tuesday, April 5, 2011

NYC Trip - My Dear Liz

Friends, it makes me crazy I don't document what I see when I am with this artist. It is literally a physical internal struggle I have within myself the whole time I'm having the experience. The truth is, I can't diminish what's happening before me by trying to document it. And while I'm struggling with a conscious need to grab my camera, my desire to be and stay in the moment ultimately wins.

This last trip to NYC, Ruth and I met Liz for brunch. When she invited us up to her apartment afterward, we about died it was just a few doors away, and then we sat gasping as she spread out her incredible quilts across her bed, starting with smaller "baby" blankets and broadening to this incredible "He/She" sided Wedding masterpiece.

I do not use the word 'masterpiece' lightly. The "She" was entirely white, however, on closer inspection was comprised of the most subtlety decorated white fabrics, one after the other more detailed beauty.

I almost literally had a heart attack when she just casually sat down on the top layer later. Had I done the same thing, peanut butter, or subway soot, or some other indiscretion would have undoubtedly ended up smeared across it. But to be welcomed into such an environment and to see such things... I am sorry I can't show you. And I'm more sorry I have nothing but my own memories to call it to mind myself. That was my conscious decision at the time. To not show you, or me later. I love just remembering a great afternoon, and two dear friends who shared it with me.

"Diagraming a Fold x9" drawing and "Red and Orange Docks and Ladders" by Liz Jaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment