Friday, May 27, 2011

I highly recommend this book.

I recently finished In the Heart of the Sea – The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex.

This book sat next to my bed for several months. I never wanted to start it. Then one day I opened it and I could hardly put it down. It's the true story that inspired Herman Melville to write Moby Dick, about a ship from Nantucket that sails around South America in search of sperm whales. The crew members, about 6 to a small boat that launches off the main ship, catch these huge whales – 65 feet long and weighing on average 60 tons (120,000 pounds!) – which they then chop up into slabs and boil down the blubber, harvesting the oil.

The statistics in this book are mind-boggling. Just the details about the whaling industry (not to mention life in general) in the 1800s are fascinating. But then the story gets more impossible when main boat gets attacked by an 85 foot, possibly 80 ton whale. As it sinks, the men are stranded in 3 of the whaling boats, which I think were only 21 feet long, floating in the vast Pacific ocean.

I seriously don't know if I'll ever be able to complain about being thirsty again.

4 comments:

  1. Have to check that out. But you really should read Chocolate Mama,by Helen Bradley Hall. This book shows how an entire family can be destroyed in a matter of seconds. You will be able to relate to the characters in this book, because the plot of the book hits home on everyday life.

    Jornetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that book as well and it IS fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are talking about Chocolate Mama? Steve. It was a great book I got mine off Amazon, where did you get your copy?

    Jornetta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the part when two guys are on opposite sides of the boat because they are afraid of each other. Thinking, "I'm not sure, but I bet that guy across the boat is thinking about killing and then eating me." So hard to believe, but so believable.

    ReplyDelete