Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Hunger Games.

Read The Hunger Games in about 2 days for Book Club. It's funny – since it still feels no where near summer, and most of the weekends have been grey, cold and rainy, I've found myself spending a day under the covers – just reading. My rational is, if it were nice, I'd be spending my days under the sun on a deck chair – just reading. So what's the difference? Even though it doesn't feel like summer – it is! – and I think it's my right to have days of guilt-free doing nothing but reading.

I was enjoying this book well enough... quick, easy, suspenseful. It was a page-turner. It reminded me in a way of Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, even though that was set in the past and Hunger Games is futuristic. There is a lot worth discussing, symbolism, analogies to be made, etc. It made me think of our future, 2012 predictions, a need for self-sustenance, basic human survival.

I didn't realize it was a trilogy until I was about half way into it. I thought, I can see reading all three of these maybe. But then I heard it was being made into a movie, and I don't know, I just sort of lost all interest in the story. I hate it when books become movies, especially ones where your imagination is allowed to create rough characters and elaborate landscapes and exciting scenes so easily. I know a movie will pale in comparison to the experience of reading this.

4 comments:

  1. Sure, they're making a movie ~ but that doesn't take anything away from the books (which are imaginatively amazing, in my opinion). Plus, when they make a book into a movie, it gives us who have read the book a wonderful opportunity to feel and act superior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on with the guilt free reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching Fire and Mockingjay aren't that great. You're almost better off stopping now and reading Ender's Game instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rev: We'll see about #2/3. I can still feel and act superior when #1 comes out.

    Geez: Thank you!

    N&W: Don't tell Rev, but Ok.

    ReplyDelete