Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Friend Lois.

(1923-2009)
This morning I was putting on my make up and I started thinking about a friend's mom who passed away recently. I've actually spent a surprising amount of time thinking of this family since she passed considering it had been years since I've seen or spoken to any of them.

The thought that really choked me up was, "Eighty-five years!" I remember part of the service that spoke to the fact that we should not be sad for a life cut short or not lived – she lived fully and completely!

In another little part of the ceremony, we all raised imaginary glasses and toasted her life. I thought this was a nice touch.

Here's to Lois!

It's strange how death affects us, what it makes us think about. We all go through different experiences in different ways and feel them differently – but it's the same, too. Although I hadn't really planned on putting this kind of personal post on the blog, I really wanted to say farewell somehow, because even though it's been years since I've seen her, she made an impression on me throughout my childhood and young adult life that I continue to remember clearly today.

Also, I found a sympathy card to send her daughter and I thought it was perfect. I think it's hard to find a card for these occasions. This one is by Snow & Graham - Chicago. They make all kinds of engraved notes, cards and invitations. The texture of the engraving and paper stock add dimensionality and originality that actually make them feel special, like little pieces of art. And, with your own message inside, they let the recipient know that you care.



No comments:

Post a Comment