Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Robert Longo.


SF Girl by Bay did an Unexpected Guests post recently and interviewed a woman from Austin, TX who named Robert Longo as one of her favorite artists.

It's been so long since I've thought of his work. I think I was a senior in high school when I was first introduced to him on field trip to visit some Chicago museums with my art class. I remember being blown away by the larger than life portraits on the wall from Men in Cities - 1979. They were so realistic. I loved the contrast of the black and white, and the incredible detail and shading.

I bought three postcards of my favorites (including the one up top) in the gift shop, and though I couldn't tell you where they are now, they hung in every dorm room, apartment and house I lived in through college.

I wouldn't bet real money on it, but I think I was at the Terra Museum of American Art. It was closed in 2004, but it looks like I might be able to visit some of his work locally at the Art Institute here in Chicago.

If you happen to live in New York, consider stopping in either the Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim Museum or the Whitney Museum of American Art to see if you can view one of these drawings in person. It would definitely be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment