Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jason deCaires Taylor


It's been about 3 weeks since I've hit a swim practice, so upon re-entry tonight, I think it's only fitting that I finally post these pics of an amazing installation I learned about months ago, but never had the drive or need to post about until today.


Since all that time has gone by, I regret that I can't credit whoever brought Jason deCaires Taylor to my attention. I've been sitting on these pics since January. Apparently, they are the stills from the very first underwater sculpture park in the world. These images moved me. It's like mummies underwater, frozen in time, but with these live fish swimming by them, adapting to their presence. I think this is beautiful (and odd). Does it evoke a sense of other-worldliness in you? It does to me.

I don't feel the need to regurgitate the website you can click to and learn about on our own if it interests you. Likewise I don't want to throw my feelings into yours. But I do want to call this exhibit to your attention. It moves me somehow, for the obvious reasons but also for ones I haven't realized. And, it reminds me of swimming and what the water looks like on the "elite deep end" of our swim practices.



I'm curious, Do these images make you feel anything?

4 comments:

  1. Looking at these pictures makes me want to put about 8ft of chain around my neck, fire up the air compressor and "mask" and spend my "down" laying on the bottom of the deep end.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me feel anxious. Like these people were caught off guard by a flood or something. Like that town Pompei.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really do look like those Pompeii people, too. I thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete