Monday, March 9, 2009

Sunda.


Jacki and I went to Sunda for dinner, accidentally on "opening-to-the-public" night. God, do I miss sushi living in the suburbs, and boy, do I love going out to dinner.

Our waiter was a bit too attentive for my taste, but he was nice and tried to be helpful. I felt a little rushed – like we were in and out of there a little too fast. In hindsight we probably should have had tea instead of skipping dessert entirely. But,


the food and the drinks were great. Here's what we had:

Kung Pao Mango Martinis – Orange vodka, peach schnapps, mango and peach nectar, clove syrup and rimmed with sesame and red chili powder. Yum.

Oxtail Potstickers – Braised oxtail, caramelized onion jus, "white" wasabi cream. Tasty.

No You Didn't... The Ultimate Handroll – Crab, shrimp tempura, salmon, spicy tuna. Kinda strange texture?

Spicy Tail of Two Tunas – Spicy yellowfish and super white tuna, pickled jalepeno, fried shallots. Shallots = delicious. The white tuna really was SUPER white.

Scorpion – Soft shell crab, tempura shrimp, avocado, asparagus, spicy mayo. My favorite of the night, duh, tempura.


Now looking at the website, we didn't try so many things that look so good. I would love to go back, like, tomorrow.


We didn't know what to expect being opening-to-the-public night and all. Definitely an older professional crowd coming from work? It was, mostly. But also there was a table of about 8 50- and 60-somethings. And at 5.30 on a Monday night I would say it was close to half full, and full by the time we left?

I thought the atmosphere was interesting. There was good energy and a lot to look at. Actually I feel like I missed stuff, so I want to take it all in some more. And, oddly, I have no memory of any kind of music. There had to have been music, right? I didn't notice it at all.


So that was Billy "Bilzaaay" Dec's latest big hit. I wish we'd have gotten that steak up there. Dang!

Definitely better than Chinn's.

No comments:

Post a Comment