Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day Everybody.


I can't get a good looking image of the silly daffodils en masse, but here you go. I think the impact will be a lot better next year when the quantity has doubled, but I couldn't be more pleased with the results on the first go. My neighbor actually asked me today, What's with the daffodils? I responded, Aren't they fun? He said, A little odd, but yeah. Agreed it is odd to have them just pop out of the lawn, but I think that's what makes them special.

Probably back in 1991 (good guess) I read Douglas Coupland's Generation X. I thought this book was very cool back then. I should read it again for a fresh perspective, but what has stayed with me all these years – in my memory at least – was this part where the main character planted all these daffodils for his sweetheart or something. I don't think it was clear that a gesture like this would take about six months before the result was realized. Maybe that was the point. I can't remember.

Anyway, without recalling the actual specifics, I thought the concept was neat. To randomly spread and plant the bulbs where they landed. I think the guy in the book planted 70. I started with 40. I think they all bloomed, and I just about died when they started to show up a few weeks ago.

I have carried this idea around with me now for about 18 years.

Dream realized Spring 2009, when the bulbs I planted at random last October decided to make an appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment