Monday, May 18, 2009

Maxwell Street Flea Market.

I always wondered what these signs were for when I'd see them from the highway. I think today I got my answer. Michelle and I went down to the Maxwell Street Flea Market. It was the perfect day for it and it made me really nostalgic for city living. We met in our old neighborhood, which had that city-Sunday morning feeling in the air. Kind of slow and sunny, with strollers and coffee.

We found a spot and parked for free and then wandered up and down peeking into booths. Most of it was crap, but it was still fun to look at. People watching was only okay surprisingly. There was one African woman selling soaps and incense I should have asked to photograph. I got some great smelling soap from her.



Michelle got some Dr. Seuss books for Margaret, Army pants to cut off into shorts, and this random clock from some goofy guy who was also trying to get us to buy this dirty doll that looked like Chucky. We both got packs of Orbit gum and plastic floral rings for $1. Honestly the best part for me was the food booths. The ones selling fruit and spices and nuts, but also the Mexican "grills" where you could get tacos and Coca-colas in a glass bottle. Many of these places had tables and chairs set up too, and that's where it was fun to watch the crowd. I'd go back just for that.

By the time we got back to Wicker Park it was in full swing. Softball games, bikes, lots of people walking around and outdoor patios packed with brunch eaters. I'm going to have to plan another morning trip just to walk around there next.

No comments:

Post a Comment