Monday, May 11, 2009

Two stories from India.

I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire last week and I loved it. I was nervous because it got so much hype and I had recently heard someone say it wasn't that great. What's funny and amazing considering all the exposure and the obvious title, I still had no clue what it was all about. What a great story. How unexpected.


What's strange is that I had seen the documentary Born Into Brothels a few weeks prior. This is a nice eye-opener and great reference for the next time you're feeling sorry for yourself or think you're having a bad day. It's also quite beautiful to see these children smiling despite some pretty terrible conditions, and the lovely photographs they take. Photographer Zana Briski lived and worked in India, where she met a group of kids in the red light district of Calcutta and supplied them with cameras and photography classes. These are some of their photos.


Kids with Cameras, and Born Into Brothels (winner of the Academy Award for best documentary feature) were both results of her hard work and dedication. You can see more of their photographs here. I thought this was an interesting film, one that's stuck with me and I have continued to think about since. It's available on Netflix to Watch Instantly (my favorite thing!).

Photographs taken by Zana Brinski and the children Suchitra, Gour, Kochi and Kochi again.

1 comment:

  1. Born Into Brothels Kids Sue Filmmakers! (Calcutta newspaper, August 2008)

    Yes, it's true.

    Born Into Brothels is a story of lies, half truths, distortions and exploitation. I invite you to read the newest blog and numerous other articles written on the hidden story behind the Hollywood-blessed "documentary." You read, you decide. It's your call.

    The blog can be found at http://bornintobrothelslies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete