Saturday, June 13, 2009

So, tomorrow morning...

I will really go take those pictures. It's pouring down rain. Instead I am treating myself to some coffee and long overdue posts. Then I will transfer the studio from the spare room to the garage for the summer, in preparation for the post-photo portion of the idea, which I can't wait to get started on.

For now I'm digging out some of my home improvement and decorating ideas. This top image I have saved for a while, it's from the apartment of artist and photographer Jennie Lee via SF Girl by Bay. I love that blue chair. It's the original inspiration behind adding blue velvet to my navy blue-walled bedroom, which I'd love to do on a chair or drapes. The design of this chair would also fit perfectly. I love her studio, too.

Speaking of drapes, these caught my eye, also for my navy bedroom. I like the ceiling to gathering on the floor oversize of them. They may be a bit too much for my space, but in the right fabric, that navy room could pull them off. I also like those little disappearing ring attachments, and I like the noise I imagine they make against the metal rod when you pull them open or closed. I don't know though, because my windows don't go to the ceiling? Regardless I like the way they look. This image and the one below are from The Rug Company catalog found on A Bloomsbury Life.

I also really like the design and color of these chairs. They look so comfortable. Maybe living room? Man, I just had a radical living/dining room redesign flash.

Here's A Bloomsbury Life's actual living room. It's amazing. Her blog is so great because she lets you in to watch as she continues to play with her home and she's got incredible taste, style and personality. I kept this pic for the curtains, but my god, look at everything else going on in the room. It is spaces like this that make me really want to attempt to combine colors and patterns in surprising unity. These exact curtains could work in my living room if I had the courage and budget to go for it. I would have never considered that type of treatment, but I think that it could be nice in the room. The fabric was designed by Peter Dunham. Here's a close-up of the pattern from his store Hollywood at Home.

I love successful examples of groups of different sizes and colors of artwork and frames hanging together in unison. This is a great one. I also love those chairs. Sometimes I think I want them as my dining room set. Sometimes I want just one as an accent chair. They are beautiful and surprisingly comfortable. These two look like they are in incredible condition. I don't know where I grabbed this image, but it looks like a Domino. Ok, and I also am struck by the portrait of the twin girls by Diane Arbus every time I see it. See it in the back ground? See it up close. It gives me the chills for some reason.

This is a Domino shot on Storage from Automatism. When I tell people I'm looking for beveled-edge mirrors, this is a gorgeous, pretty elaborate version what I mean. They are on the small side. Sometimes they hang on chains. You can see a group example of them here. These are basically the opposite of easy to find? Right? That's been my experience anyway. For example I did not see even one mirror without a frame at the entire Kane County Flea Market last weekend. I'd say that's hard to find? As Michelle pointed out, while it can be disappointing, it also makes the challenge of searching for it the thrill of finding it that much more exciting. What I guess is a good idea is to have collections that are also a little easier to come across, so you're not wasting hours and hours searching with no reward. That pot up there with the mirror is pretty McCoy-esque if not the real thing. Pottery obviously can range from affordable to highly collectable, so it's something flexible that I'm having a bit of fun with lately. It's nice to always have something great to return home with... then dang! when you find that perfect sought-after piece. Below are some more botanicals with thin frames I'd like for the bathroom, and an amazing, totally impractical sofa. I think it's another room from Domino.

I'll wrap this up with a final Domino shot. I love this kitchen. Especially the color and style combinations. I love the table. I'd love to have a place to put such a table. It could work in the spare room as a workstation or desk, but what I like so much about it is that it's used here as table, when in fact, I think it's maybe even a drafting table? The lines and weight of the legs are fantastic.

It's still raining, Mozart's still playing, and the coffee pot just turned itself off.

No comments:

Post a Comment