Friday, August 7, 2009

NYC.

Ruth and I finally nailed down our plans for this weekend and it's just so exciting! It would be great if the crappy weather the city's been having all summer would hold off for a few days. Really. Please. Oh, how I love the hot and humid atmosphere that's supposed to be present the month of August in New York.

So I'm already overwhelmed, but excited to browse the furniture, and even more the rugs, at ABC Home & ABC Carpet. Also to view the patterns of Madeline Weinrib Atelier. Mostly I just want to take pictures to put in the someday files. Then, I think it would be fun to pick up a little accent or small piece of art at John Derian. We've joked about the fabulous John Derian and visiting his shop for a while now – and this weekend we get to do it!

But the real fun for me is some of the art we're planning to see and some of the incredible opportunities that have materialized. My trip happened to coincide with the opening of a new installation by Liz Jaff, who I've written about before. So we're headed over to +Kris Graves Projects in Brooklyn to see the work Hedge*, and meet the artist. I can't wait to see how these are put together, and get the effect in person. Yay.

I also decided to bite the bullet and contact Elizabeth Schuppe, to find out if I could view her paintings anywhere. Talk about excitement, she suggested we come down to her studio. If this happens I might flip out**. I've mentioned this art having a strong effect on me. I need to have a piece of it in my home some day. I just love it.

We're also going to the Guggenheim to see the current Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit. I watched this video and decided I needed to see it. These models are amazing! Hopefully while we're up there, we'll stroll around the park a little too.

Sunday we're going back to DUMBO to browse the Brooklyn Flea Market. I can only imagine the treasures we'll find here. I can't even begin to guess. But what a great way to spend a morning!

And I haven't even mentioned the food yet. We've got reservations at Salt, Pastis, and Pearl Oyster Bar. And we've been pulling recipes because we're also going to shop and cook at home one night, which I look forward to as much as all the rest of it. And High Line Park. We're going there too.

*About the work: Hedge describes something that surrounds, separates and protects what is valuable. It defines space and restricts movement. It suggests avoidance, doubt and risk. During a time of anxiety and uncertainty, it is reassuring to think of it as something that grows and changes.

**Luckily for all involved, this only means I'll probably just get real nervous, quiet and slow, and have difficulty talking. After the experience, I'll probably act like it was no big deal, but then say over and over, Can you believe...?. I fear that looking at these paintings will make my eyes water.

Credits: NYC street scene image by Melinda Applegate, found on Flickr at Scandblue. Safety Pin image by Hugo Guinness via John Derian. High Line image by Douglas Friedman via the High Line Park website.

No comments:

Post a Comment